5 Canning Tips for Beginners
- Always use jars approved for canning. Examine each jar for any cracks, and each rim for tiny chips. A cracked jar can cause a failed seal, which can make for spoiled food.
- Choose the proper Canning Method. For fruits and vegetables canning, it is recommended to go for water bath canning.
- Get the Essential tools. To ease the process and ensure safety, you should use jar lifter tongs, a ladle and a wide-mouth funnel.
- Do not overfill jars. If you fill jars too high, the canning lids will not seal properly.
- Listen for popping sounds. Once the jar has properly sealed, you should hear a popping sound and the lid should no longer pop up.